Coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) is still spreading among different regions all over the world. In response to this pandemic, people want to protect themselves from contracting the virus; so many people decide to stay in their homes.
However, others need to leave their homes for various reasons, but they are still scared of contracting the virus. So, wearing a face mask is a safe option for them, but can the face mask provide suitable protection? And what about types of face masks that we can see today? Let us discuss these issues in our article.
Surgical face mask
A surgical mask can protect you from large-sized particles, like sprays, splashes, and large-sized droplets. On the other side, tiny particles can go through your surgical face mask.
Who should wear a surgical mask?
Infected people should wear a surgical face mask once they get in contact with other people. Also, people surrounding the infected patient should wear a surgical face mask, in case they have to contact him.
How should you wear and take off your surgical face mask?
- Before wearing your surgical face masks, you must wash your hands with soap and water or disinfect it with an alcohol sanitizer
- Your face mask must cover your nose, mouth, and chin; besides, try to make it tight enough for suitable protection
- As soon as you wear the surgical face mask, avoid touching it with your hands
- Once your face mask is damaged or contaminated, take it off from behind and get rid of it in a closed box
- Then wash your hands with soap and water. And be sure, it is a single-used mask so you cannot use it again under any conditions.
N95 respirator face mask
N95 respirator face mask protects the wearer from very tiny particles: viruses, bacteria, and air-borne particles, as well as fluids, droplets, sprays, and splashes.
Who should use N95 respirator face masks?
According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Preventions) guidelines, the public should not use N95 respirator surgical face mask. Only health care providers, who are in close contact with infected people, should use them.
How should you wear and take off your N95 respirator face mask?
- Before wearing the mask, wash your hands with soap and water or disinfect it with an alcohol
- N95 respirator mask must be tight enough to assure the respirator’s effectiveness
- As soon as your mask is contaminated or damaged, discard it by taking it off from behind, without touching the front area of the mask.
Homemade face masks
Because of the shortage of surgical masks and N95 respirators, some people use a homemade face mask. But does it work well?
According to a published study, homemade face masks provide half the protection of the surgical face masks.
Yet, people wearing homemade face masks should take strict precautions to protect themselves and others from getting infected.
In conclusion, Surgical face masks and homemade masks may not protect you from contracting coronavirus without taking strict precautions:
- Keep a safe distance from others while wearing the mask
- Wash your hand many times with soap and water
- Take your precaution when you wear and take off your face mask
And be sure, the safest method to protect yourself and others from getting infected is to stay in your home and take your preventive measures.